Monday, March 22, 2010

COWBOYS, JAZZ ARTISTS AND WILD ARTIST ALL IN ALABAMA!!!

It's been night and day down here in the the Heart of Dixie.  I'm running around with my camera on automatic and then staying up all night writing the database that must accompany every photo...but, I love it.  What a state!  What a state!  Alabama, home of the Crimson Tides, The Confederacy, Black History everywhere, Shrimp boats on the Bay, Rodeos, Rattlesnakes and Wild, Wild Artists.  I'm just about done with Montgomery, Alabama where I spent my first couple of weeks.  My final night was spent at the Rodeo
The American Flag waved and the horse trotted and we all ate popcorn and corn dogs and yelled and screamed!  (No, I lied - I'm not allowing myself any Southern fried food!)
Then the cowboy came out riding two tons of oxen!  Wow! I thought cowboys only did this in Texas.  I left Montgomery thinking I had just been in Austin.... it was fun and a night of entertainment.
I raced down to Mobile to see if anything was blooming yet. No such luck. Dead trees, dead grass and clouds.  So I just strolled the town and ventured down to the beach.
I am very interested in art in Alabama because most of it is colorful and different. There is no exception to this with the most famous artist in Alabama, the South and maybe even America.  His name is Nall and he and his art are unique. He dressed up for me and we went to town taking all sorts of images.  This is nothing new for him. When I got home, I looked through the book he gave me and saw his first self portrait was all curled up on a grave...with no clothes on in a fetal position.  Glad I didn't ask him to do any of that.  His art is fabulous and he is a character.  He lives 1/2 of the year in France so I was glad to catch him.

After a pleasant day in Fairhope, Alabama, I returned to Mobile and headed over to the Bienville Square to feed the squirrels. That's when I heard the sax man playing some of my favorite tunes. I put down a $5 and ask for a photo session.  He complied and I shot away while he continued to play.  Heaven. Two characters in one day and loads of images to pick from.

Now that I had my "artists" taken care of, I took advantage of the cloud cover and raced over to Magnolia Cemetery.  The angels were waiting for me.  I finished the day doing my wash across the street from the Whataburger - it even looked good with clouds.

I am really enjoying my experiences in Alabama because every day is different and unique.  All the people are nice and it is so easy to get around.  I have laid out my plan for the next two months.  There may be some spots that require that I call the Alabama Extension Services...they are way out there.  But today was good and tomorrow is the beach again  -  Shrimp boats and Forts and the ferry across the Bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment